Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:12:01 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Grant A. Ladue wrote:

>> Yes, we've actually played out the K'hiff attack on Strike Base Alpha
>> number of times so that I wouldn't be going into the con without
having
>> any idea of how it would play out. :)  The K'hiff never had smoke.
Most
>> Firefights were not as long and drawn out as they seemed to be on
Sunday
>> morning at ECC IX.
>>
>    Do you have any feel for why they were different?

Feel, yes, maybe.  Data, no, not a chance.

Here are some pieces of it, though again, it's not reliable - just gut
feelings.

1) Purely subjective time issues.  We, at the absolute max, have 3
players.  And generally, at least in DS, I don't play - I run the game.
Because of this, we're all always focused in on the firefight, which
makes
time subjectively go faster for us, so the firefights *feel* faster.

2) Game style.	When Tom or I attack with the K'hiff, we tend to send in
single platoon of light grav tanks to do some level of recon.  Granted,
when they get their clocks cleaned, it reduces the overall fighting
force,
but Dude, it's not *my* fault that Jon never made a scout vehicle that
goes well with the K'hiff grav tanks! ;)  Because we do more probing, we

tend to get a round or two, then back down.

3) Command Quality/Die Rolls.  We often have games with crappy
commanders,
as (to some degree) happened in the Sunday morning game.  Tom tends to
roll in, fire a shot or two, and then fail.  Don just fails.  I tend to
be
about 50/50.  Failing Stress Tests ends firefights (ok, not always, but
often).  In the Sunday game, Grant just rolled over everything, and his
morale held through it all.  Since there was no compelling reason for
him
to back down (ok, you had damaged tanks, but you can't deny that your
attacks were generally successful!), he kept on rolling.  A K'hiff
K'Patton are Grant. ;)

4) Familiarity with the system.  Tom, Don, and I know that it's
dangerous
to overextend and keep pushing 'cause in many games, that's when
something
bad happens.  E.g., you go rolling in and pound on an enemy tank
platoon,
round the corner, and get your ass kicked by the other two that were
waiting for you.  It happens.  It ends firefights.

Those are off the top of my head, but I think that they are reasonabley
valid.

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q