Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 39

[GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 39

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:07:12 -0600
Subject: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 39

On 3/16/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
<gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:46:49 -0500
> From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@magma.ca>
> Subject: [GZG] Timescales
>
> I always thought SG2 was 2-5 minutes, and I tend to favour 2, based on
movement rates.

I thought that, too.

> In
> fighting order, even doing "Advance to Contact" (up/he-sees-me/down)
style of movement
> that we were trained to use in open terrain, I could probably cover
100m in 30-40 seconds.
> That's sort of normal. So that equates to about 10" which is more than
one average combat
> move of 70m.

I've said this before with regard to ranges: SG2 makes more sense if
you use a ground scale of 1" = 15m instead of 1" = 10m. This is
another example of that.

I should codify that on my web site!

> I'm not sure what the answer is, but I find having 15 minute turns
that telescope in to 20
> second tactical combat rounds to be a bit jarring. Maybe I'm alone in
that. I understand
> the logic for it, I just find it an uncomfortable mechanic, which is
why I was suggesting
> 2-3 minute turns (and maintaining the TCR). This makes the ration of
normal turns to TCRs
> either 1:10 or 1:15 rather than 1:75.

I haven't tried the DS3 mechanics (I sold off my GW 6mm figures ages
ago and haven't painted up the others I have), but I find the rules
with the telescoping time scale intriguing. I suspect that younger
players accustomed to real-time strategy games on the computer --
where you can advance and compress time -- might have less of an issue
with it.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 39