Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance Next: [GZG] Fleet Scale Snub Fighters

Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:06:36 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

   Hmm, I better shrink this down some.  I'll just respond to the "zone
of
 attention" (which sounds more and more like a Maxwell Smart line)
concept in
 this post.

> >    More of a "zone of attention" than a traditional zoc.  The idea
would be
> >  that while you're in a firefight, you're focused on the people
you're
> >  shooting at and are shooting at you.  Between that focus and the
smoke and
> >  dust of combat, you're much less likely to start firing on someone
else
> >  moving behind what you're firing at, unless they come close enough
to the
> >  existing unit.  I would allow units to try to force other units
into the
> >  combat, with better tech and better units increasing the chance.
> >

> Ah. Ok, that's actually in there to some exent.  It's not clearly
spelled
> out enough yet, however.
>
> So, let's say Unit A is attacking Enemy A.  They start slugging it
out,
> and after a few TCRs (that's Tactical Combat Rounds boys, it's a
technical
> term!) Unit A can now see (has LoS to) Enemy B.  Unless Enemy B JOINS
the
> firefight, Unit A cannot initiate fire against them.	They are
focussed on
> units involved in the firefight.  Now, that said, I've found it very
hard
> to make that make sense in play in certain situations.  For example,
if
> Enemy A is withdrawing and passes through Enemy B, and Enemy B is
> something like APCs, and Unit A is tanks, it seems unlikely to me that

> Unit A should not be able to light up the APCs while chasing Enemy A.
>
> It needs work, but I certainly agree with you in concept. :)

    Actually I agree.  If either side performs an action that would
bring
  another unit into "combat attention" range of the other side, that
would
  automatically bring the new unit into the firefight.	If that tank
you're
  shooting at breaks and runs right through a new group of tanks, you're
going
  start shooting at them, not say "well they weren't in this firefight,
let
  them go".  Of course, if the new unit has cover, then perhaps you
won't
  notice them either.  Roll to add them in.

    This is part of why my first inclination was to add ongoing
firefights.
  You may think you've covered your flank over that, but once you're
slugging
  it out with the first unit into the gap you're far less likely to
notice the
  unit moving behind them and around behind you.
    I dunno, maybe it is just that the firefight concept gets a bit
broken when
  one and/or both sides don't have "smoke" to shut off the firefight.
It's
  entirely possible that we saw an extreme case that can cause very long

  firefights.  I'd like to see how several playtests without smoke go.

  grant

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance Next: [GZG] Fleet Scale Snub Fighters