Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Magic Wash

Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance

From: Gregory Wong <sax@s...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:33:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Doug Evans wrote:

> Oh, and Mr. Brewer, I've not figured out how you've applied the
numbers. If
> I were Sherlock, it'd be a three pipe analysis, at the least.
>
> However, a few items of consideration:
>
> Space is frictionless: Some of your observation may have not entered
fully
> into your thoughts. A ship in the ocean has to burn full to maintain a
> certain speed. A space ship doesn't have to; it merely thrusts up to
the
> proper velocity, then coasts.

It is true you don't need to burn fuel to maintain velocity.
However, depending on your energy source, you may need to burn
fuel to maintain ship systems such as life support and a deflector
to keep tiny particles from puncturing your hull, etc.	Also, you're
assuming that navigation is 100% accurate and you just point the ship
in the direction you want to go.  If you factor in deviations from
the course due to gravity or impacts or just navigation error, then
you can assume some fuel gets burn to maintain the proper course.

All of these are minimal levels, but you can't assume that just
because the ship is following a set course, it isn't burning any fuel.

--Greg

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Magic Wash