Prev: RE: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:10:12 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Grant A. Ladue wrote:

>> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 laserlight@verizon.net wrote:
>>
>   I have to admit, I would like to see more turns as well.  Right now,
I'm
> hoping that more experience with the system helps move this along, but
I'm
> not sure yet that that is the case.
>   I still think that the idea of a "continuing" firefight has merit.
I would
> allow other units to join in, and allow forces in the firefight to
roll to
> "force" other units into the firefight.  Then resolve the firefight in
the
> next turn.  This would allow the game to keep moving, but still keep
the move
> and firefight concepts.  Perhaps only newly started firefights would
be
> allowed to continue (ie you finsh them in the next turn).  Perhaps you
can
> define a "combat zone" around units already in the firefight, and
anyone that
> enters that zone gets sucked in.  That would allow units to screen
each other
> and make choke points important (since the first unit stopped at the
point
> would suck everyone else in).

I'm not sure how zone of control (which is kind of what you're saying
feels like to me) would work in a system where weapons have ranges of
60mu.  Granted, there is LoS to consider, and on a relatively terrain
dense table, you might see ranges limited to under 24mu, but on open
terrain with a laser, all bets are off! :)

>   How would recon work with a firefight?  Should the other guy
shooting at
> your recon elements force them into combat?

One example, which would have worked this way on the Friday Night game
if
I hadn't, once again, screwed up...

A unit of light tanks (scouts, if you will) moves around a hill and is
spotted by and enemy force.  Being that a) the enemy force is not on
overwatch and b) that the light tanks are Active, they get the first
FireFight round and (wisely) elect to pop smoke.  Now, they haven't been

fired upon, and they have effectively stopped the FireFight before it
really began by making it impossible for the enemy to do any real
reaction
(the enemy unit could make a Combat Move, but won't be able to get to,
let
alone through the smoke, so there really isn't much point), and the
FireFight ends.  Since the smoke-poppin'  unit is in good morale, they
may
continue with their major move (say that they were moving across the gap

beteween two hills), so they move around the second hill (around the
back
in relationship to the force that wanted to attack them) and find
another
platoon in the edge of woods watching for them.  This time the enemy is
on
overwatch, so they fire at the light tanks before the smoke can be
popped.
They manage to kill one, and being that the light tanks are overmatched,

the light tanks take (and pass) their Stress Test, and pop smoke again.
Still in good morale, if they have any Major movement left, they can
continue, and whether they do or not, they can do their SECOND major
action, which could to dig in, make another move (maybe back and onto
one
of the hills?), etc.  In both cases a firefight ended with the light
tanks
in good morale, and resulting in a recon unit having spotted two enemy
platoons.

:)

> In retrospect, one of the odd
> things to me from the game on Sunday morning was that my grav tanks
were so
> fast in one mode and *so* slow in the other mode.  My unit was
flashing past
> a gap, but were forced to come virtually to a stop when fired upon.  I
know
> there is some justification for that, but I'm wondering if there
shouldn't be
> a way to "shoot the gaps" as it were.  I'm thinking that a recon unit
would
> not necessarily stop and fire back, but would be more likely to
maintain speed
> to cover.  Not sure about that though.

That's because the full TURN is 15 minutes but each Tactical Combat
Round
is a meer fraction of that.  You're literally changing TIME SCALES when
you move from activation to firefight.

Yes, it feels very wierd.  Think of it as playing this way.  You do what

someone (sorry, don't remember who) suggested to do "big moves" to get
into combat.  Once in, you are doing small tactical adjustments in the
firefight, in compressed time.	For most vehicles, the Combat Move is in

the 2-4mu category.  For those grav tanks, well, they's fast
don'tchaknow,
and some of them have Combat Moves of around 12mu... :)

>   Say, how do very large units like Ogres work with firefights?  Does
shooting
> at one element on a big vehicle allow everything to shoot back?

Haven't worked that out yet, but will likely soon.  In fact, once my
group
gets back to DS (a few more weeks) I plan to test just that. :)

John

Prev: RE: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] DSIII q