Prev: RE: [GZG] DSIII q Next: [GZG] Re: FT FTL Jump Question

Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: Mark Kinsey <Kinseym@p...>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 20:39:22 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Grant A. Ladue wrote:

>>Yup, except that if he had had elements in either of the the otehr two

>>platoons, he would have been involved.
>>

>   Yes, except if it was his elements that became shaken each time.
Now, I
> know what most people are thinking -- "what are the odds?", but what
are the
> odds that all three elements of a platoon get shaken quickly either?
Any
> three squads can go to ground at almost any point.  An extensive
firefight
> after that point will leave that player out of it.
>
>   I should probably let this go, but I sort of pay attention to
another rule
> set called Picquet that has a similiar problem in convention settings.

> Eventually several house rule variants to get around it became so
prevalent
> that they became effectively back written into the rules as options.
In this
> case, I'd rather the option just be there from the start.
>
>   Of course, it's entirely possible that it is just really really
rare.  I'd
> like to see the people trying it out on their own to pay attention to
all the
> units and see if long inactive times are common or not.  Consider what
would
> have happened if all of those forces were commanded by one person.
>

>   grant

Grant,

You're making a very good point, but let's try looking at this another
way. I was in both DSIII games that weekend. In the first game I had two

units. A rocket tank unit guarding the main objective and another tank
unit in the rear. My rocket tank unit was pretty much taken out of the
game early on after only firing a couple times before being wiped out
(it only damaged a single K'vrak tank before this happened), my other
unit tried to enter the firefight and failed. It's morale dropped to
shaken as a result. Then it was fired upon and lost 1 of it's 4 units.
As a result it went from shaken to broken. It *never* fired a single
shot.

On Sunday's game since I was commander I took the smaller of the three
forces. Again, only two of my units saw any action. My "not death
gliders" saw action early on, destroying an AA unit and a tank before
exiting the battlefield. My light tank unit attacked on the left flank
only to fail their morale check and have to withdraw without firing a
shot.

That was everything my units did in 6 hours of play time, described in a

handful of sentances. Yet, I did not fall asleep. In fact I had more fun

than I've had in a long time. Now there are those who would say I was
starved for entertainment and they'd be right, but I did have a good
time. I was engaged in the game even when I was not the one doing the
moving and firing. Plus, it's a convention, if I really was bored with
the game because my units were not in the battle I might ask if could
look around the convention floor at other games or see if someone would
let me move their unit.  If you fall asleep at the table you're saying
you'd rather be sleeping than be at a Con.

I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude you bring to the game.
Of course I wanted to see our side win and I wanted the forces I
commanded to do well, but I was just as interested in how the battle
worked out overall.

-Mark

Prev: RE: [GZG] DSIII q Next: [GZG] Re: FT FTL Jump Question