Prev: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:49:52 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Grant et al.,

I agree with what you are saying in principle.	However, I would caution

that no rules system guarantees full participation.  As an example, I
would point out the FT game that you invited me to participate in at the

ECC.  As you know, each player was given a small task force as part of a

larger, 2-sided engagement.  Random placement (or displacement, as the
case may have been) altered entry points.  Some NSL task forces had
thrust
of 2.  If my group of 2 ships had started in a far corner rather than at

the front of the battle, it's entirely possible that I'd have done
nothing
but accel by +2 and move for the entire game.  Not saying that I'd
likely
never get in a shot, but it could have happened.  If the faster FSE
ships
had charged in, then turned and bolted for the far end of the table, I
would NEVER have caught up.

So, rather than addressing this issue as a "rules problem", I would say
that it should have been my job to suggest that you (the players) not
each
control full companies, but rather that each player control 1 company
command and one platoon in their own company, and 1 platoon in each
other
players companies.  That way, when player A's company charges in,
players
B and C each have a platoon to play with in the firefight.  That at
least
increases the chance of fuller participation by each player. :)

Still, it's a valid point that you bring up, especially for convention
games.

:)

John

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Grant A. Ladue wrote:

>  Let me rephrase it then.  For me, a "convention" game implies at
least 2
> players to a side and usually has more.  Quite frequently, more than 1
of these
> players will be new to the game.  Almost all of our local games fall
into this
> type of category whether they are played at a convention or not.  As
such, I
> would prefer to see the rules be set up such that it minimizes the
chances that
> one or more of these players spends most of the game doing nothing.
>
>  Now, that said, I've got no problem with the rules being configured
the way
> they currently are if that works well for smaller groups of players.
I would