Prev: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: [GZG] Re: DSIII

Re: [GZG] Primers

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:04:22 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Primers

On 3/3/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
<gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:48:46 -0500
> From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@magma.ca>

> I use Armoury Grey primer. I found their black too gritty for my
taste.

I used to use Amoury primer, but I primed a set of Traveller 15mm
minis (some 150 of them) with a bad batch of primer and then had to
strip the primer off them. I threw out that can and never went back.

> Am I the *only* one who uses Grey?

Oh, heck no! I use it all the time.

Black is popular with certain painting styles, as you can leave the
creases totally black and paint the highlights only. I have some 15mm
ACW figures that I purchased that were done this way. They look okay,
but it's not my preferred method.

> I find white lightens up overlaid colours and black
> darkens them down. If I want the applied colour to appear as it does
in the paint pot (or
> as it would when painted on most tan cardstock), I prefer the grey.

Yep, that's what I found.

I have some cultists (in cultists robes) waiting to be painted. I
primed them black. I have some Mexican War Americans to paint (for an
alt-history universe a friend of mine created for a novel) that are
primed grey. Grey is essentially neutral.

I hardly ever use white primer, unless the item I'm painting is going
to be very lightly coloured.

Note that the type of paint you use will be influenced by the primer.
Since it's hard to get the expensive Vallejo paints around here, I use
the cheap "hobby store" bottles almost exclusively. On sale, I can get
some for as low as US$0.49 a bottle. I think the more expensive
paints, with different pigments, will work better with darker primer.
I know that some vehicles I painted using Tamiya paint looked fine
over top of black primer.

> Automotive primers I find tend to be too slick for my taste, though
some of them might not
> be bad.

As I said, the Canadian Tire sandable (that's the important part)
automotive primer stuck to the miniatures very well, but gave a very
good surface on which to lay acrylics.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: [GZG] Re: DSIII