Prev: Re: [GZG] [Painting] primer Next: Re: [GZG] [Painting] primer

Re: [GZG] FMA skirmish

From: "Derek A. Rogillio" <derek@r...>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:13:50 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] FMA skirmish

damosan@comcast.net wrote:
> I think you're mixing the ideas of suppresive fire vs. being
suppressed.  You can do suppresive fire in FMA-S easily enough assuming
your GM allows you to do so.  For example...

Help!  Help!  I'm being suppressed!

OK, that makes sense.  I was combining both into the same mechanic but
they are being handled differently.  The act of being suppressed has an
actual rule behind it, where suppressive fire is just an special,
non-standard action.

> You have a mounted LMG with spare barrels, a case of cold beer, a
dedicated secondary gunner, and many belts of ammo.

> If *I* was the GM I'd allow you, as an action, to turn the gun on and
lay suppresive fire towards some distant target forming a cone from the
barrel of the gun to the target.  Any figure activating in this cone has
a chance to get splattered.  As the GM I'd fudge the firepower roll to
sort of model the fact that you arn't going for accurate fire but to lay
out enough lead to have people keep their heads down.  I'd further
modify this number based on the lay of the gun and the final target.

> Are you doing grazing fire?  Plunging fire?  Are you shooting up at
the target area?  Anyway that's all GM fudging at that point.

Understood :)

> With that said...
>
> If you have enough stress markers the chance of passing your
activation test becomes as close to zero as you can get.  The affect is
worse than it was in the '99 set.

Just to make sure I have this right ... each time you are stressed you
get a marker.  When the model tries to activate, a test must be made
modified by the number of stress markers.  If the model passes the test,

the stress counters go away and it can make actions normally.  If the
model doesn't pass the test, they don't get their normal activation.
Does a failure mean a rout, or just a loss of activation?

> Generally it's some action and shooting.  So you can move and
shoot...drag a wounded buddy and shoot.  You have to use common sense
though.  You can't be trying to crack a safe and lay fire at the same
time.

OK, that's what I was looking for.  The bottom line is that it sounds
like you can perform multiple actions, but you can't combine two
movement or shooting actions in the same activation.  Correct?

> In the '99 set combat is basically "he who rolls highest wins."  In
the '04 set you are only allowed to attack during your activation.  So
your 2:1 scenario would see the outnumbered guy making two
attacks....but defending against four.	There is a small chance the
defender may actually harm the attacker but the attacker has to roll
pretty poorly for that to happen.

I think I understand.  Based on your example, is each of the models in
the 2:1 battle using two actions for close combat?

Thanks for all the clarifications, Damo!

-Derek

Prev: Re: [GZG] [Painting] primer Next: Re: [GZG] [Painting] primer