Prev: Re: [GZG] DSIII Next: Re: [GZG] Quotes

Re: [GZG] DSIII

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:33:49 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] DSIII

  John,

    No problem.  It is entirely possible that my perception was off
because it
  was only a single scenario and we didn't see some of the underlying
  elements.  It seemed to me that my K'hif (sp?) were rolling d6's to
hit for
  the green units and d10's for the orange.  I didn't notice a modifier
based
  on FCS.  Was it built in, or were we doing it wrong?	I guess I
thought we
  were using 3) below, but since it was Sunday morning and all I didn't
really
  give it too much thought at the time.  I quite imagine that I
misinterpreted
  something.

    Your "iron sights being obsolete" comment below also reminds me
about
  another thought.  Iron sights really aren't completely obsolete are
they?
  Pretty much any modern direct fire (non-missile) system can still fire
in a
  degraded manner even when its fcs is down.  It seems to me that the
  "targeting systems down" result for a damaged unit is a bit too
damaging.
  Perhaps the tsd result should remove the fcs bonus and allow the unit
to fire
  at one (perhaps two) less than it's quality die.

    I apologize in advance if all this has been passed around before
(and I
  imagine it has), and I admit that my inexperience with this may
invalidate my
  opinion.  :-)  In any case, I think the firefight issue is the biggest
one
  in terms of making the game playable, especially at conventions.  I
think it
  is important to minimize issues that can cause a player to be
basically
  uninvolved for most of the duration of the game.

  grant

> Grant,
>
> Thanks for posting the comments.  I'm only going to respond to one
issue,
> so I'm cutting out the other parts to save space. :)
>
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Grant A. Ladue wrote:
>
> >	Using unit quality to determine your base firing dice doesn't
seem
> >	right to either of us.	Should a green unit with high tech
sighting
> >	systems really be much worse than an elite unit with iron
sights?  We
> >	felt it would be better to buy a targeting system for the unit
and use
> >	the quality of the unit to modify it.  Green down 1 dice, Blue
even,
> >	Orange up 1 dice.
> >

> This has been discussed at some length by various folks, and various
> "resolutions" were looked at.  Basically, I see a few ways of doing
this:

> 1) The FCS is the controlling factor, period. (per DSII)
> 2) The FCS is the controlling factor, modified by unit quality (per
you
> and Dave)
> 3) The QD is the controlling factor, peroid.	(ok, that's just stupid)
> 4) The QD is the controlling factor, modified by FCS. (current DS3)
>
> Your example above is not really valid.
>
> Green unit with high tech sighting: D6 base, +2 QD brings it to D10.
> Elite unit with "iron sights": D10 base, -1 QD shift brings it to D8.
>
> The green unit is better in this case.  Iron sights are obsolete in a
DS
> setting, BTW.  Basic sights would have decent optics, floating mounts
> allow tracking during movement, etc.
>
> But I'm just being picky here. :)
>
> My counter-stance is that a green unit is trained, but has NO
experience.
> Under the stress of battle they still have to THINK about how to lay
the
> sights, make sure they get the right ammo loaded, look for the right
> targets, etc. None of it is "ingrained".  In the short time that it
takes
> to acquire and lay fire onto a target, even minor delays can be
critical.

> The elite crew, OTOH, has not only practiced the procedures over and
over
> again, but they a) don't have to apply conscious effort to performing
> basic tasks, b) operate as a well-oiled unit, enabling them to operate

> without miscommunication, false expectations of their mates, etc.
>
> While this can be argued either way for vehicle crews, it falls apart
when
> you look at infantry.  For infantry, quality is IT.  The GZG-verse
doesn't
> have smart small arms rounds that track targets and correct mistakes.
You