Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG ECC IX: Quote Board 2006 Next: Re: [GZG] Re: [SG2] Terrain layout

Re: [GZG] Re: [SG2] Terrain layout

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:17:26 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: [SG2] Terrain layout

> I prefer to take an actual aerial photo or map and try my best to
recreate
> it.  Isn't always possible, and for Stargrunt it requires some
scaling, but
> it can be fun to set up something based on local terrain that someone
else
> might recognize.

I have done this exact same thing with several Dirtside games I've run
in
the past few years. But in addition to aerial photos, I went and took my
own
photos of places I was vacationing then tried to get terrain pieces to
match. Taking one's own photos helps pick out terrain features that
might
not be evident from aerial or satellite images.

Of course it helps to get to high ground in these cases, and not have
intervening terrain features. :-)

> Maybe it's my inherent laziness (okay, it's *probably* my inherent
> laziness!), but I find it best just to look to the world around me
when
> setting up terrain on the tabletop.

No, it's not your inherent laziness. It's actually more difficult to lay
out
terrain based on real world locations than it is to randomly plop down
pieces on the board and call it 'good'. Also, doing the real world
emmulations helps one avoid the table from looking like a copy of a
WH40K
game. ;-)

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG ECC IX: Quote Board 2006 Next: Re: [GZG] Re: [SG2] Terrain layout