Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG ECC IX - a bit of an AAR Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] GZG ECC IX - Lessons Learned from a Game Moderator

[GZG] [FT] GZG ECC IX - Lessons Learned from a Game Moderator

From: Ken Wang <azuredolfin@y...>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:43:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [GZG] [FT] GZG ECC IX - Lessons Learned from a Game Moderator

scenario "Last Train...". I gained some valuable lessons learned.  Jon
Davis' Scenario Guidelines should be commandments vice guidelines. I
study those guidelines and try to follow them. But, I didn't really get
the full appreciation of those guidelines until after I ran the game. My
lessons learned will echo his guidelines with some further insight from
my experience. Lessons learned in no particular order:

  1.) Play Test, Play Test, Play Test. Use a wide variety of players,
not just your usual group. You may know your local group well enough to
anticipate what they might do, but at a convention nothing is limited.

  2.) If you don't have the minis, don't offer those factions for play
in the scenario. If players want to use a faction you don't have,
request that the players provide their own minis in that case.

  3.) Don't lose control of the game. Maintain the flow.

  4.) Dissuade too many sidebars and digressions.

  5.) Know how to handle your players. Quickly resolve any disagreements
or misunderstandings. Your foundations are the rules. Your judgement is
final.

  6.) You number one job and concern is your players. Ensure they are
having fun.

  7.) The corollary: You can't please everybody.

  8.) Publish rules and scenario information early. Though, surprises
are a good way to keep your players on their toes and make things more
interesting, they can backfire without proper preparedness (see #1).
Allow time for players to review the scenario-specific rules and ask
questions.

  9.) Stick to the scenario and rules, don't improvise.

  10.) Don't be intimidated about running your first event at a
convention. There are plenty of nice and knowledgeable players to help
you out (Thanks Indy and John).

  11.) Solicit feedback from your players to improve your game and
scenario. They can usually see an angle that you can't because of their
objectivity.

  12.) Always expect the unexpected from your players.

  13.) Don't be afraid to make ad hoc decisions, just record them so you
can establish a precedence for the duration of your game.

  14.) Simpler is better. Scenario, house rules, etc. Recommend 3-4
ships max per player. More than 4 can become time consuming to move and
can become difficult to move in close quarters.

  15.) It's supposed to be fun for you too! I had fun, but I think it
would have been even more enjoyable for me if there weren't as many
hiccups (see #1).

  Finally, I'd like to thank my players: Indy, John, Kle, Andy, Don, and
Scott. I'll see you next year with "Down the Drain - The Last Train
Redux"!

  BTW, don't ever use Delta Ceramcoat's Pearlescent White on your minis,
it looks like bare metal.

  Regards,

  Ken Wang

Tired of spam?	Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG ECC IX - a bit of an AAR Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] GZG ECC IX - Lessons Learned from a Game Moderator