Prev: RE: [GZG] [OT] Marriage Announcement Next: Re: Re: [GZG] A scratchbuilt Ringworld/Halo

Re: [GZG] A scratchbuilt Ringworld/Halo

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@s...>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:23:51 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] A scratchbuilt Ringworld/Halo

Robert N Bryett wrote:

> Make the ring about 1,850,000km in diameter, and the rotation
> required to produce a pseudo-gravity of 1g would be one revolution
> per Earth day, and an inclined, edge-on-to-the-sun orientation would
> produce a fairly natural day-night cycle. This little construction
> project would have a diameter roughly 13 times that of Jupiter, and
> you'd "only" need to make the ring about 15Km wide substantially to
> exceed the total land surface of the Earth...

If you're building on that scale, then make the width 15,000km. That's
still more than paper-thin compared to the radius, but it's still a
sizeable fraction of Earth's equator. I'd think the 15km version would
be claustrophobic, This scale would be more like one of Iain Banks'
Orbitals from the Culture series.

--
We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade
and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are

http://vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov/er/seh/ricetalk.htm

Prev: RE: [GZG] [OT] Marriage Announcement Next: Re: Re: [GZG] A scratchbuilt Ringworld/Halo