Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper Next: [GZG] Threshold question using Beta fighter rules

Re: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 17:15:08 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Graser-1s again

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hugh Fisher" <laranzu@ozemail.com.au>
> Which I believe is what graser armed escorts and lighter
> cruisers can consistently do. It's my experience that
> most opponents can't cripple the graser ships before they
> get within range. Other escorts or light cruisers carry
> beam-1s or beam-2s, and 6 MU is not enough to work with.
> Those light ships with a beam-3 or P-torp generally can't
> afford the mass for more than one firing arc, so dodging
> around trying to hold the range open is counterproductive
> because you can't shoot while doing so.

I agree with your point about the maximum damage potential being
remembered
vividly. Generally if we took a fleet with lots of Grazers in it each
battle
one of the ships rolled enough 6s to kill an enemy vessel. We decided
that
we didn't like the feel of a weapon that had about a 10% change of doing
3d6
damage in one shot.

I don't agree with your point about short range ships being able to
close
the range. If the longer range ships only pack on front ark weapons and
the
way you play has to two fleets line up and charge at the enemy (We have
some
players that like to do this) you get a very "fighter pilot" style game.

That works until someone designs their escorts with 4 beam 2s in all arc

turrets. On a rolling table (unlimited space to play on) 2 ships of
equal
thrust can maintain a range band of 6" quite easily. The shorter ranges
ship
then has to rush at the enemy ship that than turns away and then keeps
shooting over their shoulder for a number of turns. If the Grazer ship
breaks off or slows down the longer ranged ship can again turn in to
close
the range to the edge of the envelope.

Sv ships are especially good at this kind of running engagement and they

really frustrate the layers that have designed close in brawling ships.
Human tech can do pretty much the same thing but are generally limited
beam 2 weapons if you want all round arcs. Also if you want pulse torps
its
not necessary that all the arcs be contiguous. You could have front,
left
rear and right rear, allowing you to engage through the forward arc and
then
escape turn to allow you to maintain separation and continue to fire.

John

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Dimensions & Paper Next: [GZG] Threshold question using Beta fighter rules