Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Measurement units Next: RE: [GZG] [ECC] FMASheep

RE: [GZG] Speaking Kra'Vak

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 21:18:00 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] Speaking Kra'Vak

G'day,

I don't know how you say it but here is the Kra'vak dictionary I put
together last summer. It takes Jon's FB langauge doc (which was it self
based on one to the list by a gentleman by the name of Steven
Arrowsmith) and expands on it to give a slightly wider set of base words
to play with (the original set being a little too restrictive. If needs
be I can dig up the original unmodified. I made up the numbers so you
can ignore those and I have tried to give a nod to Los' words too
(especially where I use a different word - which I justified away as
being from a different Kra'Vak dialect).

Cheers

Beth

Kra'Vak language:
This is a slightly modified version of the one posted to the GZG list
some time ago (originally created by Steven Arrowsmith, according to the
posting, who will get a credit in the book for it); I have changed a
couple of the translations, and think it works quite nicely. Maybe the
listers could double-check the translations as well as the design
specs!!

First Half:

DA =  Fast, Swift
DI =  Little Death
DO =  Follower
DE = Other
FE = Commerce, Sell, Buy
KA =  Raider, Thief
KI = Spear
KO =  Assault, Attack
KR =  Person (s), People
LO =  Great Death
LU  =  Sneak, Hider
RA  =  Little, Small
RO = Clouded
RU = Cleaner, Cleanser
SH = Transport, Mover
SI =  Rover, Walker
SU = Feel
TI =  Battle, Fight
TO = Seeker
VA  =  Great, Large
VO  =  Hunter
XI = Consume, Hunger
YU =  King, Ruler
ZH = World

Optional third letter
A = Of
O = From
I = On
U = To
N = In
S = Not

Second Half:

First letter

B =  Silent
D =  Deadly
L = Force, Push
F = New
K =  War
R = Stealthy
S =  Sliver
T =  Dark
V =  Sorrow
X = See
Z = Divine

Second & Third letter

AH = Mind
AK =  Kill, Killer
AN =  Mother, of Mother
AS =  Landmass, Mountain
AU = Build, Create
AT = Life, Death, Existing
EN =  Cargo, Supplies
EK =  Ship, Boat
ES = Meadow
OK =  Ship, Boat
OL =  Monster
ON = Fleet, Army, Host
NA = Path
UK = Lover
UR = Mix

Numbers

ANO = zero
DOO = one
KEO = two
SHO = three
RIO = four
TUO = five
VAO = six

Order Joiner
I = plus
N = multiply
V = power

Higher Orders
KEV = six squared
SHV = six cubed
RIV = six to power four
TUV = six to power five
VAV = six to power six

Examples
KRA'VAK = People of the Sorrow Killer (probably an old name for their
world and/or solar system/star)

KRA'VAK DOMINION STAR FORCES - Kra'Vaka'Kia'Kon (Spear of War Host of
the People of the Sorrow Killer)

Counting:
Seven = 6 + 1 = Vaoidoo
Ten = 6 + 4 = Vaoirio
Thirty nine = 36 + 3 = 6^2 + 3 = Kevisho

Not all dialects are the same thus for example:
Time in Lo'SVas dialect
Year = Turnas: Equivalent to almost 5 Human months
Month = Turnot: Equivalent to 12 human days.12 Turnot make up a Turnas
Day = Drahl: Equivalent to 2 Human days. 6 Drahl make up a Turnot
Hour = Thaar: Equivalent to 8 Human hours. 6 Thaar make up a Drahl
Minute = Tu'runs: Equivalent to 4 human minutes. 120 Tu'runs make up a
Thaar
Second = Se'nod: Almost two human seconds. 120 Se'nod make up a tu'runs

GLOSSARY

-an	her

Ano's	Infant Kra'Vak

anoau	newborn

Anoes	sacred lands (literally "Birthing Lands")

de	other, they, them

den	their

deto	release

deto'lah	free

don-	gone in

Doo's	Adolescent male Kra'Vak

Doosh	measure of time, one circuit of Zha'Vak about its sun
(approximately 502 days)

fau	new

Fe'Lon	Kra'Vak take on the Phey-lon'a (Phalons), has introduced the
letter combination Fe for commerce and L for push into common Kra'Vak
usage

'es	void

Kaa'zes Literally "raiders of the divine meadow"; it is a colloquial
mainly derogatory term for something perceived as culturally inferior,
also used to refer to animals, basically beings without the true
knowledge of the order of the world and thus they do not recognise
cultural taboos and so don't really deserve respect as worthy
adversaries or particularly intelligent (analogous to human concept of
dogs or chimps, smart, useful but not really on the same level rights
wise)

Kaa'Tok spectre, ghost

Keo's	Mature female Kra'Vak

kes	fort

ko	do

Koi'Zah venerate

Kon	War Host, the central military body of the Kra'Vak Dominion

Kra'Bna People of the Silent Path, these are the Intelligence and
Special Forces operatives of the Kra'Vak Dominion

kuo	commit

lau	must

lauf	only then

Lo'Bat	a Kra'Vak deity (the great hunter of death)

lo'dol	plague

lo'vav	eternity, infinte

Lo'X	gods

Lo'z	true order (divine order) of reality

Luot	indigenous insectoid from the Vaas province on the Kra'Vak
colony world Doo'Dan

-osh	indicates a time period being discussed

Riosh	a measure of time, approximately 45 seconds

roek	deformed, malformed

Ro'Kah	Clouded War Mind, the biochemical blood rush leading to Kra'Vak
"beserker rage", particularly severe in adolescent male Kra'Vak, but
exhibited by all age groups to some extent

ros'xau clear (literally "clouded not see build")

rus'zok horribly deformed, malformed

runa	clean off, clear out, cleanse

rux	obvious

sha'zok books

Sho's	Elders, Kra'Vak that have undergone their final metamorphosis

Sho'sosh	time as an elder (not retirement exactly, but definitely
usually marked by change of vocation)

Sia'Na	Walkers of the Path, Kra'Vak who are physiologically immune to
the effects of Ro'Kah, they act as moderators and advisers, some also
hold revered religious posts

Si'Buk	Lover of Silent Walks, a Sho's chosen name - the name chosen by
an individual during the rituals marking the final metamorphosis and the
attainment of elder status

sil	wander

Si'V	a Kra'Vak clan

Si'V'Kon	the military units made up of members of the Si'V clan

krs'au	fallen or dead

siau	teach, instruct

sis	caught, trapped

s'v	joy

s'uk	unknown

sua'lau compassion

suf	renew, new

sus	insensate

suv	pain

Tia'Vak Kra'Vak internal war (inter-clan war)

tis'anoau	stillborn

toa	like

toa'vat seek sorrows end

toaz	thrill

ton	leave, cease

tos'l	return

Tusi	a small hardy plant, with silvery UV reflective flowers,
originally from the Yu'Roas province of the Kra'Vak homeworld Zha'Vak,
now ubiquitous in Kra'Vak space due to its ability to grow under most
climactic regimes and its role as a staple ingredient of many Kra'Vak
warm season dishes

una	how to

va	much

Vaas	province on the Kra'Vak colony world Doo'Dan

va'vah	terror

van'x	admiration

Vaosh	a measure of time, approximately eleven years (i.e. six doosh)

vas	tear or cut

vas'uk	great unknown, ignorance

voah	soul

xia'fau make new, reinvigorate

Xia'Zan "feast of holy mothers" as the central assembly of the most
powerful Kra'Vak clan matriarchs is known

Xin'Dau Lo'SVas clan renowned for their skill in science and reverse
engineering.

Yuas	broad, flat, oval noodles, dark purple in colour, made from Tusi
paste and the flour of the Kio'Es root (a perennial native of the
Yu'Roas province)

yu'lau	control

yun	reign

yuna	show

yusva	poorest

yuva	greatest

Yu'Zan	great matriarch, leader of the "feast of holy mothers"

-zah	literally divine mine; analogous to glory

zuk	honour

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Measurement units Next: RE: [GZG] [ECC] FMASheep