Prev: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [Battle of Titan] Next: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep]

[GZG] LISTADMIN or LIST ARCHIVE ADMIN question

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:32:45 -0500

This pertains to gzg-l archives.

I notice that, in the gzg-l archives, some lovely little internal
defence protocol mangles
>From addresses in archived posts (replacing @some.valid.domain with
@xxxxxxx). This is a
good and handy thing.

But, I've also noticed that many people, when coughing out canned
replies using the
'Reply' button on their email client, generate "Tom B
<emailname@some.valid.domain> said:"
or the like and this is in the body of the email.

I notice also that this email address is NOT mangled. Is there any way
to get the list
archive software to apply the same display logic to email addresses in
the body of the
posts? Otherwise the mangling is nearly useless, from what I've seen. It
would be very
easy to scrape the pages as they currently are to acquire e-mail
addresses, because
mangling the To: address just doesn't cut it when the address promptly
appears in replies.

So, I'm not sure if this is a question of generating the archives
differently or
displaying them differently in the archives. I don't actually know where
the email name
mangling goes on. But wherever that is, perhaps whomever is responsible
can comment if
this discipline could also be applied to email bodies to prevent
scrapeable addresses from
being put out in the archives.

Tom B

Prev: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [Battle of Titan] Next: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep]