Prev: Re: [GZG] Cougars Corner hacked Next: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep]

Re: [GZG] [FT] Cancon 2006 Random Observations

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 00:10:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cancon 2006 Random Observations

Hugh Fisher wrote:
> Something this old fogey hadn't really noticed before is that kids
> have no idea how many inches there are in a foot. I'd brought along
> my trusty tape measure, which is old enough to vote and restarts
> numbering after each foot. So I'd say "You have to be within 18
> inches to be in range" and they'd just look at it blankly.

You know, this brings to mind a curiousity question -- what nations are
left that would still have reasonable facility with Imperial?  Canada
switched over to Metric almost thirty years ago now, but, because our
trade is so tied in to the United States, we still have to know Imperial
distance measurement pretty well.  And, the United States hasn't
converted,
obviously (and probably never will.)  I presume most of Europe is
metric,
and stayed there -- and the UK converted relatively recently, so it's
still mixed, right?

JGH
--
Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan - TBFTGOGGI
"The snow is coming down, on our New England town, and it's been falling

Prev: Re: [GZG] Cougars Corner hacked Next: Re: [GZG] [ECC] [FMASheep]