Prev: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

Re: [GZG] Full Sail and Morale

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:43:34 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Full Sail and Morale

Thomas Barclay schrieb:

> This would, in some sense, help to explain historical situations where
modern armchair
> analysts look back on something, draw conclusions that X general or Y
admiral made a poor
> decision and withdrew when he was about to win/in a position of
advantage/not seriously
> damaged. Sometimes a vessel or formation takes moderate damage, but it
seems like the best
> time to withdraw to that units commander. Sometimes he is wrong,
sometimes just short on
> data, sometimes he might know things that aren't apparent to the
armchair analyst. At any
> rate, there are enough cases of people pulling out early to make me
think rules that allow
> this (just as we have Last Stand rules) help to make the ships and
tanks and little lead
> dudes behave a bit more like their real world counterparts - complete
with frailties, bad
> judgements, inconvenient timing, and sometimes with outrageously
tenacious morale.

And not all bad decisions consisted neccessarily of running away. They
could be ill-judged attacks or random moves.

At the Dogger Bank, Admiral Beatty "saw a torpedo" and turned his Battle

Cruisers away from it, in effect giving up pursuit of the German force.

At Jutland, Scheer turned into the British fleet that was "crossing its
T" after he was well on the way to get away.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding