Prev: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: damosan@c...
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:01:19 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

> First, the German Navy had a minimal surface combatant force and as a
> result focused on fast ships intended for independant commerce raiding
> rather than decisive engagements with the RN's battleline.  Second,
> the decision to ditch the escorts early on, which baffles me.

Your first statement answers the second I think.  The Bismark was built
as a fast commerce raider wasn't it?  Did German escort vessels have the
range/endurance to keep up with B. while out at sea for any length of
time?

--
Damo

Prev: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding