Prev: [GZG] [CON] Six weeks to GZG ECC IX Next: Re: [GZG] [CON] Six weeks to GZG ECC IX

Re: [GZG] [LONG] Philosophy of shipbuilding

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:49:26 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] [LONG] Philosophy of shipbuilding

Heh.  Honor Harrington.  It's true, Weber seems to take great enjoyment
in
slinging thousands of nuclear bomb-pumped laser devices around space,
and I
think it's only been just in the last book or two where even the
slightest
hint of worry about preserving limited resources in ships actually has
gotten mentioned even once.

In my own gaming when I used to play this on a regular basis, we had a
fairly free-form design system where you were allowed to bring basically

anything you want within a certain point limit.  Yes, this had a
tendency to
evolve into a state where somebody would have an enormous temptation to
build a dreadstar with most or all of their point totals.  There were,
however, a few fairly serious missions where smaller craft not only were

useful but were very powerful in the battles.

The first mission is the wonderful "banzai boat".  Everybody knows what
this
guy's out there for.  It's an itty bitty, completely expendible ship,
often
small enough that if you wanted you could probably stuff it in a spare
hangar bay for giggles and not even bother carrying FTL on the thing,
that
was deployed in smallish swarms around larger capital ships in order to
eat
up salvo missiles.  Because, yeah, if you threw enough salvo missiles at
large ship, it was usually going to die unless it was so stupidly
maneuverable that you couldn't hit the thing, and in our games, if
people
bothered bringing large ships the min-maxing was usually in favor of
heavier
armaments capable of punching holes in a small moon rather than
humongous
amounts of drive space to keep it zipping between asteroids at will.
Since
banzai boats are cheaper than drive systems capable of moving a brown
dwarf
around dime sized corners, that's usually the solution I tended to use.

The second mission was as a needle beam striker.  There is nothing a
dreadstar fears more than to have a bunch of needle beams outflanking
him
(or worse, cloaking and sneaking up behind him) into a position where
they
can take down drives and screens and leave them looking like heavily
armed
metal asteroids floating through space.  Hands down, the shortest Full
Thrust games I've ever been a part of haven't involved my infamous
fighter
strikes, they've involved situations where my opponent threw a heavily
armed
dreadstar battleship at me with no fighters and no smaller escorts and
the
things had drives and/or screens functional for about four turns.  The
only
thing that seperates a dreadstar from a more reasonably sized warship in

this case is that it makes a much more expensive sitting duck when it's
forced to surrender to the enemy.

There's other potential missions where I could visualize small craft
being
useful.  Islamic Fed style suicide bombers with SMRs is one, although
those
don't pack as much sheer dread for a larger ship as needle strikers do.
If
a starfleet has the resources to waste on ships that have absolutely no
real
capability to defend dirtside targets from attack (a need which is
simulated
very nicely by forcing people to play on fixed tables) you've got the
"Mongol horse archer" sort of ship with flimsy hulls, high class (i.e.
long
ranged) beams and ridiculously high thrust.  If needle strikers got
dangerous enough you could even justify bringing FT equivalents of
destroyers for much the same reason as destroyers were invented in real
life.  I tend to use fighter strikes to serve this mission myself
though,
and it's one of the few reasons I would ever fathom for giving a
dreadnought
a small fighter complement if it's not going to bring an additional
carrier
escort as well to help those fighters actually be useful against another

capital ship.

But yeah... if you don't have some strategic or tactical reason for
using
smaller ships, I don't happen to find it terribly "munchkin" to use
primarily larger ones at all.  And if the rules haven't given smaller
ships
a reason for existing, that's the fault of the rules set, not the
players.
As it is, Full Thrust _does_ give a few reasons why small ships would
want
to go near a dreadnought fleet, just that there aren't very many of
them, so
unless you've got a scenario (campaign or otherwise) where picket forces
of
smaller ships are a real asset, there's not really a whole lot of reason
bring them if you haven't armed them with something that makes them a
real
threat to larger ships.  Even at that, it's perhaps an interesting
scenario
how a needle striker mission would balance together with a picket
mission
against other escort ships the same size, or whether the needle strikers

would have to basically be left as flighty patrollers that run to report
at
the first sign of trouble if they ever went out on their own.  Alas,
it's a
large set of theorizing that would require me to actually get new people
play with now that I've divorced my old FT buddy's sister.  :P

Prev: [GZG] [CON] Six weeks to GZG ECC IX Next: Re: [GZG] [CON] Six weeks to GZG ECC IX