Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Army Life Next: [GZG] Hyperspace?

Re: RE: FT Scenarios (was: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems)

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:14:46 +1300
Subject: Re: RE: FT Scenarios (was: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ground Zero Games" <jon@gzg.com>
>>If people are interested I'll post how our group is doing its
missions.

> I'd be very interested in seeing it, John.

Ok, Here is how we do deployment in our campaigns

In this campaign we have chosen a more free form process for selecting
technologies (mostly to restrict the human players from having access to
massive list of gear)

Technology: In this campaign you can choose the technology types your
empire
will use. You get 12 "slots" to buy all of your weapons and other toys.
Higher-tech items cost more slots. See Technology document for details.

Battle options:

Hyperspace battles are fought on a fixed 4x6 table. Entry points for
ships
are determined by scatter die, with entry speeds of 1-10 (half move out
of
FTL). Battles can have 1d6-3 pieces of terrain. (grav shears and planet
shadows).  If you hit the board edge you ship "grinds along" keeping the

same heading to complete its movement, suffering 1dd damage.

Planetary Sector battles are fought on a floating 4x6 table. They may
have
1d6-3 pieces of terrain, except terrain-heavy systems which have 1d6+1
pieces of terrain. Normally ships enter along the short edges, with
players
alternating placing ships, with entry speeds of 1-10. The attacker may
also
choose to warp-assault, dropping directly onto the table out of FTL.
Attacker writes his entry coordinates, speed, and heading. Defender then

places ships, they must be facing opposite table edge (i.e. not
immediately
zooming off-table). Attacker enters and scatters. No ordinance launch by

either side the first turn. The attacker can have his ships enter over
multiple turns if he likes.

We have found this mix of options gives people plenty of things to think

about when designing their fleet. You can't just pick a close assault
fleet
or a long range or single arc fleet because some of the deployment of
the
options we use have fleets that end up deploying on a parallel course
12"
apart.

If you use a variety of deployment options then regardless of whether
you
use vector or cinematic you could find yourself in a situation where you

need multiple arcs to fire.

Hope this is interesting.

Regards

John

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Army Life Next: [GZG] Hyperspace?