Prev: Re: RE: FT Scenarios (was: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems) Next: Re: RE: FT Scenarios (was: Re: [GZG] Re: Points systems)

[GZG] RE: FT Scenarios

From: "Terry Mason" <terry@m...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:08:59 +1300
Subject: [GZG] RE: FT Scenarios

> On 1/12/06, John Tailby <john_tailby@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>> Are people really going to want to play games where they are

>> outpointed 5:1?

> It's called "economy of force".

> Your mission suddenly becomes "positively ID enough enemy ships to

> convince your fleet headquarters you havn't come down with galloping

> cowardice, then withdraw your force.	If you're feeling froggy, or

> your enemy has deployed badly, go ahead and shoot up a couple of his

> smaller ships before you go."

>I actually like games like this where the goal isn't always just blow
everything up. It makes you think more.

>Jaime

There is a point where you have a glimmer of hope and no chance at all.
What
do you need to get someone to play a 5:1 suicide mission? - an ulterior
motive.

I have seen the same problem with WWII rules, people get bored with
encounter battles and just blowing everything up.  The rule sets provide
the
game mechanism for combat and a point system for making it fair, but
gamers
want more after a while.

What you need is a higher level of the game to provide the strategy that
is
not as complex as a full blown campaign.  For example, you make the
decision
to send a fleet of cargo ships on a mission without escorts because it
is
critical to your long term strategy.  The cargo fleet gets intercepted
and
is wiped out, an unfair battle that you wouldn't want to play out but it
could have paid off. Had you added some escorts it may have been worth
playing out to add damage to the enemy fleet for a long term effect.
You
need another combat mechanism to "auto resolve" battles when the winning
odds are too low or perhaps for absenteeism in multiplayer games.

I have been working on a simple "overgame" which is essentially a board
game
that creates scenarios from your own fleet manoeuvres, but has multiple
winning conditions.  Has anyone done anything similar?

Terry