Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] I'm back Next: Re: [GZG] Unsubbing for Very Good Reasons

RE: [GZG] Re: Points systems

From: Robert Makowsky <rmakowsky@y...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 04:37:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: [GZG] Re: Points systems

Binhan,

There are good ideas on both sides of this discussion.
 Adding VPs or some method to track success is a good
thing. It allows for different scenarios etc.  This
could also be done with scenario Victory Conditions
(VCs).

On the other side the point I agree with is this.  If
your VPs or VCs do not match what a reasonable
military force would do given the knowledge that they
have then the game is not going to be fun for any of
the "problem solving, real-world tacticians".  These
folks are more than happy to work within the rules of
the "game" to come up with the optimal solution (that
they can at that time given the forces available etc
etc).

To make a seperate set of rules that they have to
decipher to win and ones that are hidden at the start,
and most importantly are ones that have nothing really
to do with "most efficient way to win tactical and
strategic encounter" is not going to endear these
folks to the game.

I think this is an interesting point in wargaming in
general, there are folks who like to play for the
thrill of the game and don't mind unusual VCs as they
are in it for the excitment.  There is another subset
that is more interested in learning about how things
would be best run if the physics and rules of the game
were those of reality in that universe.

Given that we may be at a "I understand what you are
saying but not why" position.

Bob Makowsky