Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

[GZG] Re: Points systems

From: wscottfield@c...
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:11:08 +0000
Subject: [GZG] Re: Points systems

John Atkinson  wrote:

> This idea confuses me.  Seriously, every military mission has a
> specific goal.  In the Army, it's called "commander's intent".  If I
> execute the commander's intent without taking losses out of proportion
> to the relative value of that goal, then I have "won" regardless of
> what the enemy was trying to achieve or what their perception of the
> situation is.

I agree with what you're saying, although it's worth pointing out that
commander's intent is only as good as the intel the commander has at
that time - there may often be things going on that you don't know
about. I have no problem with there being a few surprises in a scenario.
 But the example given does seem a bit random: how are players expected
to develop a tactical plan when they have to guess at VPs? Or if I'm
concentrating on the SDNs but screw up my maneuvering so that the only
thing I get in arc is one whimpy DD, which "just happens" to be worth
more points than all the other ships... have I won because I'm the
better player, or did I just get lucky?  (Or did I misunderstand
Binhan's point?)

OTOH, I have no problem with the defending player's mission being based
on protecting a DD that the attacker doesn't know is valuable.	This
could conceivably lead to a situation where both players win: the
attacker because he destroyed the defender's Big Ships, and the defender
because the Heir's DD got away. I don't have a problem with win-win (or
lose-lose) scenarios myself, `tho some more competitive players might.

Scott Field
“Your mouth is moving. You might want to see to that.”

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....