Prev: [GZG] Unsubbing for Very Good Reasons Next: RE: [GZG] [OT] Need some references

[GZG] Re: Turning Circles

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 23:57:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [GZG] Re: Turning Circles

>The problem with turning circles for Vector movement in space is that
>the turning radius is so dependent on ship velocity. The faster you
>are moving, the larger the radius. If you have accumulated a velocity
>of 30 mu/turn, there is no way you should be able to turn a 10 mu
>radius. On Earth, you have drag that limits your speed based on your
>thrust and drag coefficients.
>
>Tony C.

  You may have a velosity of 30 mu/turn but your ships engines will set
your turning ability. If your engines are 6 mu/turn then you may make 6
turns in any part of your turn. If you want a little more realistic
effect then devide the total starting velosity by the number of turns to
be made (30mu / 6mu or 5mu per segment) so the ship would turn 1mu go
streight for 4mu turn 1 mu go streight for 4mu etc until finished.
Turning would not add or subtract from the speed of the ship so if you
started a turn with 30 mu/turn turned 6mu in a turn the next turn you
would be going 30 mu per turn.

  Although each ship may be making the same number of turns (6 turns for
example) the effect of the turn depends on the turning circle used (360
degrees = 2 * pi * r or 2 * 3 * r or 6 * r). A BB with a turning circle
of 8 in. would turn (6 * 8 = 48 or 6/48 * 360 degrees) 45 degrees, a DD
with a turning circle of 5 in. would turn (6 * 5 = 30 or 6/30 * 360
degrees) 72 degrees and a fighter with a turning circle of 3 in. would
turn (6 * 3 = 18 or 6 / 18 * 360 degrees) 120 degrees.

  Scott

>On 6-Jan-06, at 2:54 PM, Scott Siebold wrote:
>
>> I assumed that with all of the arguments on how to handle ship
>> maneuvers
>> that some time in the past turning circles had been brought up and
>> rejected. I am not sure of this so I am bringing them up now.

[s

Prev: [GZG] Unsubbing for Very Good Reasons Next: RE: [GZG] [OT] Need some references