Prev: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Re: [GZG] Re: Jon's question on rotate/thrust/rotate

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:38:45 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Jon's question on rotate/thrust/rotate

On 1/5/06, Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@telia.com> wrote:

> But it isn't really a "human vs alien" problem. It is a problem with
the
> balance between weapon fire arcs and engine power; it only becomes a
> "human/alien" problem if you use the "official" Fleet Book fleets
because
> the FB2 Kra'Vak are so heavily geared towards narrow fire arcs and
powerful
> engines while just about all of the other Fleet Book fleets use weaker
> engines and wider fire arcs.

I second this thought.	OA and I had a discussion on the designs I
used to use (basically NAC-style design philosophy), and when I
revised them to eliminate most of the multi-arced weapon fits (to fit
in with FB vector rules), the cruisers and capital ships got noticably
nastier--going from 3-arc to 1-arc B3s is a big jump in firepower for
the same mass, especially if you had 4 or more B3s to begin with.  I
havn't fought them against a live opponent using Kra'Vak, but I have a
feeling that their performance would be significantly improved.

Not significantly enough, for some of them, as too much mass is wasted
on shields that don't do much vs. Kra'Vak.  Which is why I'm positing
a change in design philosophy towards tougher hulls, no shields,
lighter armor, and more guns for most Human fleets as the Kra'Vak war
gets going.  My "Hunter" dreadnought designs are a case in point.

Compare:

Basileos Megas Konstandinos class Dreadnought (DN)
Displacement: 16000 tonnes (Mass factor 160)
Hull Type: Average (Hull Integrity 48)
Crew: 27 officers, 133 ratings (Crew Factor 8)
Armament: 4xClass 2 Battery, 4xClass 3 batteries (F), 2xPTorp
Sensors: Standard sensors, 3xFire Control
Defenses: 6xPDS, Armor rating 15, Level 1 Shields
Drive Systems: Main Drive rating 4, FTL Drive
Point cost: 532

That was designed to fight beam-heavy human fleets with some salvo
missles (supported by escort vessels, of course, to deal with fighters
and salvo missles).

Nafkratousa class Hunter-Killer Dreadnought (DNK)
Displacement: 16000 tonnes (Mass factor 160)
Hull Type: Strong (Hull Integrity 57)
Crew: 27 officers, 133 ratings (Crew Factor 8)
Armament: 1xClass 2 Battery (FH), 3xClass 3 batteries, (F), 8xPTorp
Sensors: Standard sensors, 3xFire Control
Defenses: 6xPDS
Drive Systems: Main Drive rating 4, FTL Drive
Point cost: 538

That's designed to give Kra'Vak players screaming fits, although I
suspect that if used against a human player it would feel almost like
fighting a Kra'Vak that was less agile and tougher.  I've used it
once, and my opponent's eyebrows achieved low orbit when he caught
those torps at point-blank range.  I think one missed.	:)

It's big sister the Lemnos has a simillar weapons fit, but is
considerably more survivable with over 100 hull boxes.

I have a strong feeling a lot of new-builds in the second half of the
Xeno War would look more like this than the FB1 Bonaparte.  :)

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....