Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Full Thrust Creator in VB6 Next: Re: [GZG] [Stargrunt]

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:20:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Jon T. wrote:

>1) The system as it currently stands (FT/FB1/FB2 standard): ie, 1
thrust
>point will rotate any ship to any heading in vector movement.

d) I've actually played this and dislike it.

Played it with or against all of the Fleet Book and beta-test fleets,
plus
a wide variety of home-grown designs. Dislike it because of the way it
makes MD4 ships with single-arc long-range beams the ultimate design
style
- forget about the Kra'Vak; their expensive engines don't give them any
real advantage over cheap MD4 (standard) engines, and their K-guns are
outranged by single-arc B3s and B4s. Forget about the FB1 human designs,

too - they waste *way* too much of their weapons Mass on wide fire arcs
which have virtually no use under the FB1/FB2 Vector movement rules.

>2) The system used in the EFSB (the Babylon Project FT variant), where
1
>thrust point only allows rotation by 1 course point (30 degrees).

d) I've actually played this and dislike it.

Same fleets as above (including in some Cinematic/Vector crossover
battles). Dislike it both because it doesn't really make sense PSB-wise
if
a game turn is longer than a minute or so at most, and because it makes
even MD4 and MD6 ships extremely unmanoeuvrable.

>3) 1 thrust point allows rotation by up to 2 course points (60
degrees).

c) & d) I've actually played this and both dislike and like it.

Played it with various homegrown ships, beta-test UNSC, ORC, Kra'Vak and

Phalons; played it against the human FB1 fleets and homegrowns. PSB-wise
still dislike the way it doesn't really make sense unless the game turn
is
quite short, but game-wise I very much like the way it makes having
different main drive ratings actually mean something while still
allowing
ships to manoeuvre somewhat.

HOWEVER, game-wise I'm even more fond of the variant of 3) where 1
thrust
point allows rotation by up to 2 course points and a *Main Drive* burn
accellerates the ship *2* mu straight ahead instead of just 1 mu. This
variant retains the fire-arc/drive rating balance of the "plain 3)", but
it
also makes it easier for ships to change course rather than just change
facing.

>4) Modified FB1/FB2 standard - 1 thrust point rotates to any heading,
BUT
>only ONE rotation maneuver allowed per turn... in other words you can
>rotate for maneuver purposes and then thrust, OR thrust and then rotate
>fire, but NOT rotate/thrust/rotate.....

b) I haven't played this but dislike it in theory.

This has very nearly the same effect as using MD2 drives already has in
FB1/FB2 Vector: with MD2 you only have 1 thrust point to spend on
manoeuvres, so can't make more than 1 rotation per turn. When flying
ships
like this most players I've played against choose to maximize their
opportunities to shoot - which means that they'll use their single
rotation
per turn to keep the enemy in arc, essentially forfeiting their ability
manoeuvre except for Main Drive burns in the direction they happen to
face
either before or after the rotation.

Basically, with this concept the differences between different MD
ratings
become even smaller than they are in FB1/FB2 - MD2 ships are still just
as
able to keep the enemy in arc as MD6A ones are, but now the MD6 ship
doesn't even have any noticable advantage in course changing ability.

***
A comment to another reply:

David Rodemaker wrote (in a heavily formatted and thus rather big post):

>(though I agree that the move/fire dichotomy is annoying at times –
>anybody thought of doing something like isolating all fighter and
missile
>action, plus PDS fire I suppose, prior to ship movement and fire?*).

But that doesn't have any effect whatsoever on the move/fire issues Indy

brought up - with your revised turn sequence ships are still just as
able
to fly right through each others' fire arcs yet end the move being
unable
to shoot at each other, and they can still spend almost all the turn
facing
away from their targets but are still able to shoot at full effect as
long
as they end the move facing the right direction.

As far as I can see the only real effect of your revised turn sequence
seems to be that SM salvoes and Plasma Bolts will always land in exactly

the right position to hit their intended targets, leaving no chance at
all
to outmanoeuvre them... :-(

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Full Thrust Creator in VB6 Next: Re: [GZG] [Stargrunt]