Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: "james mitchell" <tagalong@s...>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:28:17 +1030
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

as an old battletech player, there is nothing worse than a contested
drop
zone, there's to much confusion and to many people firing on you as you
leave the ship, when dropping planet side you need a base that can
easily be
defended and lets you move unabated, so as to capture key facilities, eg
the
power plant, radar , and airfields etc, if you think that you can just
drop
on your target and they'll capitulate, then why didn't the allies do
this in
world war two,hello Adolph were the 82nd cop this. or in  Iraq, because
a,
not enough intelligence b, the enemy can react quicker than you can
deploy
c, its to far away from help that can make a difference d, supplies,it's

always better to get them to come to you, then use your ortillery
asset's,
and other capabilities to whither the defender's down so that they have
surrender, remember that if it cost's more in money and lives and
property
damage to take a colony the, you could of bought the thing or set up one
of
your own for far cheaper than it cost to mount a military campaign, then
you
have to defend it.

and as for insurgent type games, remember that a 15yr with a 1000 dollar

black-market  rpg 9 can take out a multimillion dollar Abrams tank,
according to the pentagon and janes, or his mate with a sniper rifle can
tie
up a company of troops for a couple of hours game of tag, I think that
it
comes down to what a person wants in his games and some of the funniest
things can go wrong with a platoon chasing one person all over town, is
alot
of enjoyment for some and dam right pain for other's, if you think not
alot
happens in this type of game, then remember that the v.c did this sort
of
thing to the u.s and did it well , then the Afghanis did it to the
Russians
, but they haven't met with the same degree of success this time round
with
the Americans, why some could argue tech and that does have a huge
effect,
and that they don't have a superpower backing them this time.

at the end of the day this is just a game and a dam fine one at that,
you
play what you want and the type of scenario you want, everyone's
different,
and always take comments onboard as constructive and try to make the
best
out of every game you have.

that's my rant.
regards james mitchell.