Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:32:59 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

On 11/24/05, Michael Llaneza <maserati@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> A "motorized tank platoon" ? Now I've heard everything.Well, if adding
> HumVees to a leg unit makes them motorized then I suppose using them
in
> an armor role makes the tank platoon motorized too.

That's the intention.

Short version:

Tanks are not as useful in most counter-insurgency missions.  But you
want armored units there because if you need tanks, you need them
very, very, badly.  See:  Battle of the Black Sea Marketplace,
Mogadishu AKA Day of the Rangers.

Further, tankers in this role can hold down a sector, perhaps not as
well as infantry but tolerably well.  Effectively, they are dual-armed
cavalry, light or heavy as the situation requires it.

> But if they can stand up to heavy MG fire, then against anything but
> real tanks they can do the armor job. It makes my brain hurt, but I
> think this is actually pretty clever.

Against some jackass with an command-detonated 122mm shell and an AK,
they work just fine.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault