Prev: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault Next: [GZG] RE: [Semi-OT] Epic figs for DS forces was [OT] Noble Armada ships was [OT ]SD was...

Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:19:33 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

Having the background allow for or encourage the idea of multiple
population/political units on colony planets also makes it easier to
explain how large (even if it's only a battalion per side) end up on a
DS
battlefield.  I'm all for it. :)

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Brian B wrote:

> On 11/22/05, Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@telia.com> wrote:
>> John Atkinson wrote:
>>
>>> My thought is that these force numbers respresent the huge
difficulty
>>> of transporting large armed forces across space.
>>
>> To me, these numbers suggest rather small colonial populations (with
a few
>> exceptions where a power had gone all-out to push the population up
fast,
>> eg. Albion). For real-world comparisons, compare the size of the
forces
>> deployed in North America during the French and Indian War and the
War of
>> 1812 with the field armies in Europe in the same period - and relate
the
>> force sizes to the sizes of the *populations* in North America and
Europe