Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] MORE SURPRISE NEW RELEASES! Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] MORE SURPRISE NEW RELEASES!

Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:29:41 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

John Atkinson wrote:

>My thought is that these force numbers respresent the huge difficulty
>of transporting large armed forces across space.

To me, these numbers suggest rather small colonial populations (with a
few
exceptions where a power had gone all-out to push the population up
fast,
eg. Albion). For real-world comparisons, compare the size of the forces
deployed in North America during the French and Indian War and the War
of
1812 with the field armies in Europe in the same period - and relate the

force sizes to the sizes of the *populations* in North America and
Europe
at the time.

>Furthermore, the difference between long-service professionals armed
>with the latest weaponry and non-weapon technology (C4ISR, mainly) is
>such that even if you raised 10 divisions from the locals armed with
>local-built stuff, it will wither like a leaf in a blast furnace if it
>attempts to fight Regulars with total air supremacy/orbital
>supremacy.  See: Republican Guard in front of Baghdad.

*If* the regulars have total air/orbital supremacy, which is not at all
certain:

>And COA superiority (Close Orbit/Aerospace) is a precondition to even
>attempting to land
>troops.

Nope - or, rather, you only really need local COA superiority over your
chosen drop zone; everywhere else COA *parity* is enough to give the
invasion a chance to succeed. A planet is a very big place to defend,
and
unless the defences are truly outrageously massive you're pretty much
guaranteed to find an unprotected spot to land in.

To use a real-world example, prior to the US invasion of Iraq in 1990/91

hadn't yet achieved air superiority when the first ground troops arrived
in
Saudi Arabia - and they didn't need it either, because the troop
landings
took place too far away for the Iraqis to intervene effectively. (In the

event they didn't even try, of course.)

Or to use an SF example, the battle of Hoth: the Empire was unable to
land
troops directly at the Rebel base due to the shield, so instead the
Imperials had to land well away from the base and move their assault
forces
overland. The shield was a passive obstacle to the troop landings rather

than an active one, but the overall effect is very similar: the Empire
did
not have air superiority over the combat zone. (Neither did the Rebels,
of
course.)

Other than that I agree with your post :-/

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] MORE SURPRISE NEW RELEASES! Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] MORE SURPRISE NEW RELEASES!