Prev: Re: [GZG] Federation Commander is out, and it's gunning for FT. Next: [GZG] Care and weeding - er reading of star systems

RE: [GZG] Federation Commander is out, and it's gunning for FT.

From: "Star Ranger" <dean@s...>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:34:03 -0600
Subject: RE: [GZG] Federation Commander is out, and it's gunning for FT.

> > Well, they say the box is full, there is no air space and
> > if you shake it, nothing moves....

> Now, Dean, you cut my quote prematurely:

> I recognized the 'quality' issue, though there are highend games WITH
> plastic pieces for about the same. On the other, other hand, those
mostly
> assume high volume, which I know ADB can't. And those others are often
> wrong. ;->=

Yes, I should have included that line too, but I was addressing the cost
comments in general and not the fact that you saw beyond them ;-)

> *plenty of snippage to follow*
>
> Give them credit for learning from other's mistakes there!
>
> > The SSDs are not the complex part of SFB...
>
> Amen, though much of the complication isn't even the rules themselves,
as
> much as trying to cover every possible combination of them.
>
> That, and feature creep, of course. The Evil Empire(tm) didn't invent
'The
> Latest and Greatest' syndrome. ;->=
>
> > - Expansions include more fun, not complex new rules.
>
> Ok, but you HAVE to expect us to be a little gun shy...

Sure.  In the discussions I have read at least it seems that they do
realize
that there is huge market of ex-SFB players and people who have never
played
SFB who want something quicker and less imposing.

> > I have not played FC yet...
>
> Relax; the only way we can shed our naked fear of old SFB is with a
little
> primal scream therapy. We'll look, honest.

I understand, I was just making sure that my later statements were taken
as
copied from ADB and not my opinions.

> > They are planning a big debut weekend with demo games on
> > November 26-27
> > so check your local store if interested.
>
> I've just become part owner in a local store, and with Hobbytown
corporate
> also here, I'd have expected to have heard at least a squeak.
> However, lots
> of new board games and that new SW AT-AT just waltzed in; plenty of
> diverted attention there.

First, congrats on the store, and you do remember the saying on how to
make
a million dollars in gaming..... ;-)

On the FC Demo Day, it seems to be more of a call to the SFB players to
all
get out and demo the game that weekend and not something going through
the
stores or distributors, though there have been some messages on the Star
Fleet Universe message board about stores who have contacted ADB and
want to
find someone to demo FC for them.

> Anyway, I've just started calling around; and, lest we forget, thanks
for
> YOUR effort on SCN!

Good luck, and thank you and everyone else for stopping by SCN, it would
have gotten old and died long, long ago if not for the feedback and
support
I have gotten from the gamers who stop by.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com
dean@star-ranger.com