RE: Re: [GZG] Re: First go at a campaign - some questions
From: "Michael Brown" <mwsaber6@m...>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:57:13 -0700
Subject: RE: Re: [GZG] Re: First go at a campaign - some questions
Gzg-l mailing list
article is available through MagWeb
[mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of Scott
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Re: First go at a campaign - some questions
>A version of this, called 'The Sun Never Sets' by Dave Waxtel and Barry
>Gray, appeared in The Courier magazine (Vol III, No. 4, Jan - Feb 1982,
>there are probably a number of members of this list who are younger
>this magazine! Yes, my child, in them thar days magazines were printed!
>paper! :) )
>> The campaign system for The Sword and the Flame has an ingenious
>> method of dealing with this. Each player is both a British minister
>> *and* a native ruler. If I'm the Prince of Siam and the Tommies are
>> really pounding on me, then in my persona as MP, I'm going to vote to
>> send troops to Abyssinia, not Siam.
>In FT, perhaps all the players would be members of the UN, or the
>council of one of the powers, while also protecting their patch when
>their own fleet or power.
I played in one of those campaigns and it was fun. I was an MP, British
second in command in India and first in command of the Boers.
As British second in command I was sent with native Indian troops to
Afghanistan when India was restless and Afghanistan was in open
When Afghanistan quieted down I went back to India and was sent to South
Africa (India was still restless) and was attached to the column that
avenged the distruction of a British column fighting the Zulus. The
theory was if Indian forces mutiny it's better to have them anywhere but
As Boer commander I got the Boers into a restless state and was in the
next to the zone where the first British column was ambushed by the
My three units of mounted Boers showed up on the edge of the battlefield
could not enter or shoot into "British" territory but could accept
that made it into our territory. After the first shock wore off the Zulu
commander just ignored us and didn't get within "a threat" range.
By having two commanders for each command one person could miss a turn
the game could go on. The only problem was that there wasn't enough
cut-throat gamers so each native uprising usually got smashed due to
sufficient forces being sent.
Anyone tried matrix Gamming?
I tried out a gaming system using matrix gamming which was interesting.
player would propose an action and reason for the action based on a set
possible actions and reasons and each player would vote on the action
then a random chance role is made.
Fleet 19 of UN will return to base due to need for overhaul. The canned
action in this case was "return to base" and the canned reason was
overhaul". The players would argue the order: the fleet just arrived the
previous turn from base and had been at base for three turns. The vote
let's say 6 to 2 against (gamemaster gets 2 votes) so subtracted 40% (2
- 6 against times 10%) chance and base was 40% so there 10% chance
at least 10% chance and never more then a 90% chance orderers will be
followed) fleet will follow the order and return to base. Politics can
in and deals can be struck so that I vote for this and you'll vote for
Tie this in with a "normal" game and it could go like this. UN Fleet 19
joins with NAC fleet Force "C" to defend against the invasion of the
(please fill in with any Bug Eyed Monsters you choose). The BEM player
matrix part of game proposes order (see above) and when the dice is
1 is thrown and UN Fleet 19 heads back to base and will have to stay for
least 1 turn at base before doing anything.
The next turn the NAC commander could issue order: Fleet 19 will "ignore
orders" due to "critical situation" of invasion by BEM.
The UN commander could issue order: BEM 6th armada will "return to base"
to "unrest of forces" due to missing religious festival.
The BEM commander could issue orders: Fleet 19 of UN will "return to
due to "shortage of supplies" with the assumption that the first order