Prev: Re: [GZG] The New Mini Mini's are almost here! Next: Re: [GZG] The New Mini Mini's are almost here!

Re: [GZG] Squadron size

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:49:50 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Squadron size

John Atkinson wrote:

>Anyway, the point of this is this:  Anyone ever played around with
>using larger squadrons than the 6-ship ones assumed in the rules?

Both larger and smaller groups, yes. My main inspiration wasn't
real-world
combat though, but rather SF movies and TV shows - Star Wars rebel
fighters
operating in 3-fighter groups facing TIE fighters in 4-fighter groups,
etc.

>Due to the way the rules for hanger size are written, odd-numbered
>squadrons would be difficult to work.	Are there any game balance
>issues that immediately spring to anyone's mind?

Plenty of them. The biggest ones are PDS rerolls (groups with less than
6
fighters don't have enough "hit points" to let the PDSs reach their
nominal
average of 0.8 fighter kills per die) and movement initiative vs fire
initiative (for a given number of fighters, organising them into lots of

small groups gives an advantage during movement - you get to move more
groups later on, thus being able to react to the enemy fighters' moves -

but suffer a disadvantage in combat since many of the small groups will
*fire* after the opposition does; if the fighters are instead organised
into a few large groups you get the opposite initiative effects
instead).

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] The New Mini Mini's are almost here! Next: Re: [GZG] The New Mini Mini's are almost here!