Prev: [GZG] [DICE MATH] Dice Pain... Never... Ending Next: RE: [GZG] Re: laser classes

RE: Statistics - was RE: [GZG] Re: laser classes

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:23:36 -0600
Subject: RE: Statistics - was RE: [GZG] Re: laser classes

Technically no.  The original statement was 19 points of damage from 2
class 1 "lasers" (assume beams).  If Beam A had totally missed, then the
statement would have been 19 points from a single Class 1 "laser".

If you want to be picky there are 8 6's followed by a re-roll, one 6
followed by a miss and then a final die that is 4 or 5 with no re-roll.

The die roll that misses is moot since it doesn't add a point or a
re-roll.  It is similar to all the X batteries that fired the same turn
and missed, you don't count them in the calculation.

Including the miss die is also extraneous for this reason - let's say
for argument's sake that the opponent instead of rolling a miss, chose
not to re-roll a six.  Are you saying the probability of scoring 19
points changes because the 11th die wasn't rolled? The answer is no.
Which means the 11th die is completely irrelevant to the odds of scoring
19 points with 2 class 1 beams.

Example with 3 dice - chance to roll a total of 18 on three dice (1 in
216)
A - 6,6,6
B - 6,6,6,(1)

If you didn't know what the 4th die roll was, do the odds of the first
three rolls change?

--Binhan