Prev: [GZG] [FT][HH] Vector Fatigue, Missiles Next: Re: [GZG] RE: Stealth, ECM and FCS suggestion (long)

[GZG] RE: Stealth, ECM and FCS suggestion (long)

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:54:52 -0400
Subject: [GZG] RE: Stealth, ECM and FCS suggestion (long)

I finally had a chance to look at this. It has a nice next step above
the ideas I've been using.

A couple comments:
- FCS is essentially a proxy for ECCM. Enhanced and Superior sensors
should also play in to this, since those systems are already in the
game (At least FT/MT)
- For material based stealth, like I have with the New Israelis I do
like the mechanic of _automatic_ loss with damage. Stealth like that
should be somewhat cheaper than thresholdable stealth that can be
repaired.
- I don't like the idea of enhanced FCS causing other systems to be
more expensive. Perhaps the cost of the FCS needs to be some factor
of %weapon mass of the ship.
- There needs to be an upper range limit band on some weapons.
Assuming that a standard FCS in FB1 can target ships at 48 mu (and no
enhanced FCS is required to fire heavier beams), it could be argued
that 12 mu is the actual effective maximum range of a B1 as far as
the capability to deliver damage to a target. Enhancing FCS might
give a +1 to hit _within_ range bands, or maybe ekeing another mu or
two out of maximum range, but I don't think making a B1 with 20 mu
range just because of FCS feels right.

Then there's Jamming. What would be very cool is to have a system
capable of protecting ships _behind_ or within an area of effect of a
jammer. The jamming ship itself can work one of several ways - it can
be a Beacon - drawing enemy targeting to itself (i.e. making hte
jammer easier to target), or it can be a source of major interference
and benefit from its own jamming. Ships within or behind the area of
effect (determined by center to center LOS through the jamming area
are protected by the Jammer's field. This would be a _huge_ new
tactical variation for FT, and actually allow fleet formations to
interpose units and protect key elements (say of a convoy, or damaged
ships, or VIPs, or flagships, etc...). Jammer area of effect would be
probably 1-3 mu radius, with cost/mass going up quickly - something
like 2/6/18 mass.

Me, in Zone Garb    (Noam Izenberg. Please excuse me while I slip
into something more comfortable...)

Prev: [GZG] [FT][HH] Vector Fatigue, Missiles Next: Re: [GZG] RE: Stealth, ECM and FCS suggestion (long)