Prev: Re: [GZG] HH minis Next: Re: [GZG] Stealth, ECM and FCS suggestion (long)

Re: [GZG] HH minis

From: "John K. Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:34:05 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] HH minis

Given that Ad Astras "Attack Vector" uses charts for how you change
facing,
in a very realistic 3 dimensional vector based movement system, and that

"SITS" stands for "Saganami Island TACTICAL Siumlator" (my emphasis),
you
can bet that it is a much more complicated set of rules, with a very
different intent than Full Thrust.

FT is designed to handle medium to large fleets, with a strong emphasis
on
"fast and fun" play.

SITS is a *simulator* designed to allow for tactical combat between a
few
ships per side - like maybe 4 per player if they're very familiar with
the
rules.

IMHO, simulations do not always make for good games.

I played Attack Vector once, with one ship per player (two players), no
complex weapons (no coil guns or missiles), and only 2D movement.  It
took
us about 4 hours, and while we *knew* which ship was going to win, we
had
not achieved resolution.

For folks who like very detailed simulator-style games, I strongly
suggest
Attack Vector or SITS.	For those who like fast resolution with a
pile-o-ships, stick with something like FT.

Ok, opinion machine now going back off line. ;)

John

--On Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:55 AM -0400 Jon Davis
<davisje@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> david smith wrote:
>

>> the question is are you getting sits and/or going to used these minis
>> in the FT universe? These minis in my book would be useful to be a
>> small independent starnation, totally different from anybody elses
>> navy designs.
>

> SITS, unfortunately, looks like a complex rules set.	A friend of mine
sat
> through a demonstration session at GenCon and it took them 15 minutes
> go through an explanation of the turn sequence and his head was
spinning.

> Therefore, I think they'll have good success with the minitures, but
the
> game will have a smaller following.
>
> Jon

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

Prev: Re: [GZG] HH minis Next: Re: [GZG] Stealth, ECM and FCS suggestion (long)