Prev: Re: [GZG] Target Identification and IFF Next: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005

Re: [GZG] Vehicle and Unit ID

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:56:44 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Vehicle and Unit ID

> > So, double blind games with detailed spotting rules can make this
kind
> of stuff happen,
>
> Even without the prospect of mis-identification, Double Blind games
can
> give you lots of opportunity to play with your opponent's head. Have a
> unit or two keep their heads down while the enemy line rolls by, then
pop
> up in what is now the Red Force rear area. Adding misidentification
just
> makes it more fun, particularly if you've got civilians and media on
the
> table:
> "Is that a sniper, a scout, or just a civilian?"
> "Movement in my rear area -- enemy partisans, or friendly civilians
trying
> to bug out?"
> "This is new crew for station WBIAS, interviewing Sergeant Czaba.
> Sergeant, can you explain why you just shot that mother and her
children
> with an anti-tank rocket?"

 Of course,
1)In such a situation the ROE would likely require positive ID.
2)A military unit that would allow uncontrolled interviews during a
firefight is wierd to say the least.
 You have to remember that out of hundreds of thousands of rounds fired,
the
blue-on-blue or collateral damage stuff might get an inordinate amount
of
media coverage, but in reality it is truly unusual.
 Take Desert Storm. There were a couple dozen blue-on-blue cases, but
there
were thousands of Iraqi vehicles blown up with great precision.
 Even in Iraq today, what cases of mistaken identity there are (in the
most
deliberately confusing environment possible) tend to be cases where
people
act like terrorists. One case I'm familliar with was a pair of off-duty
Iraqi Police who were totally intoxicated and attempted to run a US
roadblock. Someone chopped their vehicle in half with a .50 caliber
machine
gun. Unfortunate, but no negative consequences for the chain of command
or
the soldiers in question.
 John
and
again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Target Identification and IFF Next: Re: [GZG] Battlereport from August 31, 2005