Prev: RE: Vehicle Recognition: Re: [GZG] The dreaded Panzer Chaffee Next: [GZG] vehicle ID

[GZG] AFVID and Miniatures

From: Fred Kiesche <godel2escher2bach@y...>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [GZG] AFVID and Miniatures

Greetings:

"What's *really* scary is the number of troops you run
into who don't know the difference between a T-72 and
an Abrams."

I had my best success in teaching AFV-ID by running a
game of Jeopardy using different kinds of vehicles
(tank, wheeled, artillery, etc.) as the categories and
either pictures or verbal questions in each category.

That was a lot of fun, especially when I did it in the
field, and brought along a suit to change into (after
all, I was a game show host).

The playing cards that we got issued were less
successful, folks just got bored looking at the
pictures.

Making up names was more successful than the cards.
BTR-60P, "Bit t**** are sixty pesos", etc.

We generally were happy if they could pick up a few
things that would trigger a shoot/don't shoot decision
(i.e., enemy armor is more likely to have a rounded
turret--although a lot of those descriptions are
either no longer valid or won't be valid for much
longer!).

On the model/miniature side...is Roco (?) still
around? I recall them having a lot of very nice HO
scale vehicles, as well as some detail/baggage packs.

If you want to go real small, take a look at GHQ and
CinC miniature. 1:285 scale, and there are other lines
(Irregular Miniatures?) in the 1:300 scale. GHQ had
some detailing kits for their WWII Shermans that would
work for other stuff. Plus they are (relatively) cheap
enough so that you can buy several packs to mix and
match turrets, etc., to find that futuristic look. Get
some sheet plastic and maybe you can do hover
skirts...

Roughly in this scale, I still see a lot of plastic
and metal miniatures for FASA's Renegade Legion and
other games in that series on the second-hand market.

Fred Kiesche (FPK3)

My books are water; those of great geniuses are wine. Everybody drinks
water. (Mark Twain, "Notebook")

Science, science fiction and more. See The Eternal Golden Braid.
(http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/)

Prev: RE: Vehicle Recognition: Re: [GZG] The dreaded Panzer Chaffee Next: [GZG] vehicle ID