Prev: [GZG] The dreaded Panzer Chaffee Next: Re: [GZG] The dreaded Panzer Chaffee

Re: [GZG] The dreaded Panzer Chaffee

From: Brian B <brianbinor@g...>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:13:52 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] The dreaded Panzer Chaffee

On 8/29/05, Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@magma.ca> wrote:

> I just looked over the real thing (an M24 at the new Canadian War
Museum).

IIRC the Chaffee was the very first tank model I ever tackled as a
kid, so I've always had a soft spot for it.  But I also STR that
during the opening stages of the Korean War, they were the only tanks
opposing the NK's and got their butts handed to them by the
Communists' T-34's.

They're not a
> bad shape, though the turret shape doesn't follow modern turret
geometries.

Modern != Future, and you can always come up with some PSB as to why
that style of turret comes back into fashion at some future time.

 It depends a
> bit what crowd you have - I'd have more chance of slipping through
Leclercs, Leopard IIs,
> or various soviet vehicles of modern era than any WW2 tank with my
crowd.

The problem I have with doing that is that because they're modern,
they're in the news, not just the history books, and more likely to be
recognized.

 Of course, with
> one of the guys having taught UN forces AFV recognition, he pretty
much looks at any
> scratch build and not only identifies the original core vehicle, but
components looted
> from other vehicles along the way... ;)

That's scary.  Cool, but scary.

Prev: [GZG] The dreaded Panzer Chaffee Next: Re: [GZG] The dreaded Panzer Chaffee