Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Model Planets and figs Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Model Planets and figs

Re: [GZG] Re: Model Planets and figs

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:40:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Model Planets and figs

Andreas wrote on 08/19/2005 02:35:38 PM:

> One thing I'd like to try is making a ringed planet.	I'd
> toyed with using a blank CD-R -- cutting the planet in
> half and gluing the CD-R in the middle, leaving a nice
> shiny ring around the outside.  What else could we use?

I LOVE this! I just wish I'd kept the last bad blank we got here at
work;
the CD doesn't get the shiny layer, just a clear disk. I'd have to try
scratches to indicate thin rings, even twisted ones!

> On a related note, I'm scratchbuilding a Halo/Ringworld
> right now, using wooden cross-stitch hoops.  Should turn
> out to be interesting, at least.

Don't those usually have metal clamps at the overlaps? Sounds like a
road
trip to Hobby Lobby! Hmm... mounting on bases should be interesting...

Thanks!

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Model Planets and figs Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Model Planets and figs