Prev: [GZG] Resources and More Resources... Next: Re: [GZG] Resources

Re: [GZG] Resources

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 16:52:58 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Resources

Fred Kiesche wrote:

 >One good place to go to is the Strategy Page...
 >
 ><http://www.strategypage.com/>

I deliberately did *not* mention this one, since it is very US-centric -

even bordering on US-chauvinistic - and surprisingly often gets data
about
non-US military gear wrong; don't trust all you read there without
double-checking with an independent source. (That's why I prefer TankNet
-
it is far more international... and also much faster - by the time
StrategyPage takes notice about something the news have usually been
discussed for a week or more already on TankNet :-/ )

 >The USMC has an excellent professional development
 >program. The guide that program is called "A Book on
 >Books". Try:
 >
 >https://www.doctrine.usmc.mil/signpubs/r611a.pdf
 >
 >Worth its weight in electrons for books ranging from
 >small unit to theatre wide!!!

Agreed - but see my earlier comments about books going out of date
quickly.
They're excellent for learning about what has happened in the past (up
two or three years back); less so for learning about what is happening
now
and what the current trends are.

 >James Dunnigan, with various folks like Austin Bay or
 >solo, has a number of books that you might want to
 >look for.

Dunnigan is one of the people behind StrategyPage. His wargame designs
are
generally nice, but his books... well, let's just say that my above
comments about both the StrategyPage and books in general apply full
force
to his books :-/

 >If you can locate GDW's "Phase Line Smash", that is an
 >excellent demonstration of (relatively) modern warfare.

It is a truly excellent resource for and simulation of Swartzkopf's
"left
hook" during the 1991 Gulf War, but your "relatively" means "fourteen
years
out of date"... for the most modern of the forces involved. The other
side
was out-dated even during the war itself :-/

 >Hmmmm...this CD might be worth a $20.00 investment!
 >
 ><http://www.tpub-products.com/product_info.php?products_id=56>

IIRC most of those can also be downloaded for free in HTML format,
though
the .pdfs on the CD are easier to read and print than the HTML
documents.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: [GZG] Resources and More Resources... Next: Re: [GZG] Resources