Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cold Navy miniatures. Next: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:30:26 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike

At 5:59 PM +0200 8/2/05, Oerjan Ariander wrote:
>I think so, yes. Aircraft should be able to attack from above the
"less-than-theater" AA's range, but at greatly reduced accuracy. Exactly
what altitude would be "safe" from the MADS and lesser systems will vary
with time - today it is around 15,000', tomorrow it will no doubt be
higher; but if the MADS can only reach 120mu *horisontally* it won't be
able to reach much further *vertically*... so there will always be an
altitude above which you need even bigger AA weapons than MADS to hit
the high-flying aircraft.

Are BUFF style Strikes Modeled into DSII at all? I'd always assumed the
"high" level was several thousand feet, not 15,000. "hey look at the
pretty contrails..."*BOOOM*

>When they have weapon ranges of 10-15 kilometers, they are most
definitely *not* covered by DS2's "ZAD" (aka "ADS") system (which only
has a range of 2.4 km). These 10-15 km ranges do however very nicely
bracket the very range you specified for your "MADS" system...

Ok, what's an All in one ~120mu type all in one system? Rapier?
Chaparel? Aren't those short ranged? SLAMRAAM?

Do you want to have a size slide with superiority so you can put your
superior system in one chassis with the launcher? Sounds like there
needs to be a technical level as well. DSII has generally assumed
increased capability was bigger and more expensive. How are you lads
going to do that in DSIII and keep it elegant and un-Battle-Techish?

>Sure, but in DS terms all that means is that you get an opposed die
roll between the missile's Guidance Quality and the radar's ECM level.
It doesn't say squat about what die size the radar's ECM has to use - it
could still range from "None" (D4) all the way up to "Superior" (D10)
:-)

Guidance quality die vs target size die (modified by stealth and
emissions)
			and target ECM die

>Nope. Nowadays emitting *doesn't* necessarily reveal your position, at
least not if your ECM capabilities are better than the enemy's. Modern
radars can also be *very* low-powered and still get astonishingly good
returns; cf. eg. the claimed detection ranges for the F-22's radar
system compared to the ranges where said radar's emissions can be
detected by older aircraft.

Aren't modern systems effectively proof against some of the older tech
barring an operator that's asleep? ie mostly automated and fast? Its
kind of like DF gear that can DF a signal as soon as the radio transmits
a burst. Also, if your tech level is capable of making heads and tails
of a low power emission, then the equivalent tech level is capable of
making heads or tails of your emissions which will have similar
strength. Unless your emitter has a really huge receiver array in which
case you've got a honking big target die.

>In the future it can get even more interesting: the next generation of
AA tracking systems will most likely be passive ones which don't need to
emit *anything* towards the enemy aircraft. (No, I'm not kidding:
similar passive tracking systems are already entering service on combat
aircraft.) Their launch units will still need to emit guidance signals
to the missiles, but those signals can be very tight-beam and only need
to intersect with the target aircraft just before the missile hits...
leaving very for ARMs to lock on to even if they aren't spoofed by
anything.

Then they're not emitting anything and it's high resolution passive
sensors in other words. Kind of a different animal. Hard to have an ARm
if you don't emit. But, once you get a fixed target point, a floating
PGM can then be tasked with hitting that fixed point that revealed
itself. This level of fencing seems beyond the ARM/Anti-ARM game.
-		  Data Center Operations Group		      -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Hours 11am - 7pm Mon - Fri	    (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)      -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	     e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191					       -

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Cold Navy miniatures. Next: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Precision Strike