Prev: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL Next: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL

Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrathwiz@c...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 06:44:10 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL

David Billinghurst wrote:
> I've had a quick look at the Unofficial/Official starmaps some
amazingly
> talented gentleman has posted on the net, but my knowledge of local
> stellar astrography is too poor to begin to understand what links the
> various pieces together.  Like real estate, stellar 'empires' must be
> governed by location.  Why would someone claim a starsystem?	For
> resources or position.  Why position?  Because, to go from here to
there
> requires a lay-over or a refueling stop.
{snip}
> Anyway, back to the Tuffleyverse, I'm assuming there is some finite
> range on ship/fleet FTL movement, be it fuel or supplies.  Otherwise,
> I'd suspect the little pocket states that are popping up would not be
> viable.

	Yes, I'm the so-called "amazinginly talented gentleman",
	and you points are well taken.

	The various "empires?" were chosen from stars that have
	a high probability of hosting human-habitable planets,
	and were roughly somewhat close to each other, and roughly
	in the proper position relative to each other.	I winged
	it, in other words.

	Yes, there has to be a range or other limitation on
	the FTL method, or what you mention will happen.
	There would be no "battle lines" in space, and an
	enemy fleet could jump directly and attack the enemy capital.

	For purposes of creating an interesting wargame, the
	'jump point' system has a lot to recommend itself:
	http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3v.html#limits

Prev: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL Next: Re: [GZG] Hello List and some ruminations on FTL