Prev: Re: [GZG] How big is my tank? Next: [GZG] some size debates

Re: [GZG] How big is my tank?

From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@g...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:36:30 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] How big is my tank?

On Mon, July 18, 2005 11:06, John Atkinson said:
> On 7/18/05, Samuel Penn <sam@glendale.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> What is a Main Battle Tank? Are they big tanks or average tanks?
>
> Once upon a time, there were tanks...

[...good stuff snipped...]

> So, a Main Battle Tank is the modern all-singing, all-dancing tank
> which hunts other tanks, supports infantry, is fast cross-country, and
> carries enough armor to defeat any weapon not designed specifically to
> destroy MBTs.

Almost sounds a lot like the history of the computer industry,
with PCs now doing most things well enough, filling roles which
used to be filled by mainframes, supers and minis.

So, the MBT does most things well enough.

> These are all gross generalizations, and as such could easily be
> picked apart line by line with specific refutations, but it's enough
> to understand the intent of the term.

Thanks a lot for that, it was interesting.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: [GZG] How big is my tank? Next: [GZG] some size debates