Prev: Re: GZGers At Origins Next: Re: [GZGOLC] More New Ships from the ship yard

Re: [GZGOLC] More New Ships from the ship yard

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:15:21 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZGOLC] More New Ships from the ship yard

Gaetting, is a reference to the ancient Gaets, who were a Celtic-like
people who took sheep into battle in the defense of their homes and
villages.  The term "Gaetting" was a bastardization of the Gaet word
"Bleatting" which was the action taken by the war sheep to bludegon
strangers and enemies with their iron shod hooves.  Over the years,
gaetting has changed meaning, as the Gaets no longer employ sheep in
battle.  To gaet now means to face a great task, (such as having to be
Bleated) which seems insurmountable.  Thus, "gaetting around to", while
minorly misused in your sentence can be translated loosely to "wanting
do something, but not being able to muster the energy or determination
start".

Good use of a very old and eclectic term. :)

(is that a Narn I hear?  and has he a bat?)

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University