Prev: RE: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions) Next: RE: Fire Control lock-on

Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

From: Sylvester Wrzesinski <xveers@g...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:43:36 -0700
Subject: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

Doug Evans wrote:

>>>Perhaps a small change in perspective: let the defending ship try to
>>>"break" the lock-on of a ship that is attacking it.

>>I think I kind of like this.... what does everyone else think?
>>

>..."roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save, each WITH (possible)
>modifiers and special automatics (auto hit or auto wound or no
save)..."

I think from what Jon's saying it's more like "if dodging/jamming, roll
to break lock and then hose with damage". Of course some weapons
(grazers) have two step damage proceedures, but we're already used to
those now aren't we <grin>.

>It keeps the defender playing during the other person's turn, so you
are
>not 'only waiting' til your turn, which is prolly why it's part of the
Evil
>Empire(tm) mechanic. But it's still an extra roll, so I'm against it.
>Please note, the range band adjustment will add time of varying amounts
>depending how quick the players are, too, but it's not a separate step
in
>the process.

But as a seperate step,one right at the beginning of fire decleration,
is only one roll per target and then only when the target ship is
attempting to dodge. Dean and a few others suggested that the dodging
modifier should be 1 per two thrust expended, which sounds good. It
means that unless a ship has at least 4 thrust, it can't dodge (a nice
inherent limitation and a new wrinkle to the game system... also makes
more sense for the FSE designs). As well, I find changing rangebands to
be mentally cumbersome... you get people thinking.... "okay, normal band

is 12... minus 2 for dodging and ecm, plus one for enhanced sensors. so
it's 11. So it's not 11 away... 22? no....". It's not so bad with most
rangebands, but with grazers you start having to think of multiples of
16 or 17.