Prev: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions) Next: Re: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

RE: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:26:00 +0100
Subject: RE: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

>  > Another point brought up was that if we have a lock-on roll, should
>>  the hit/damage chance of most weapons be increased? Well, I think
no.
>>  Yes, 50% of beam shots against unscreened targets will have no
effect
>>  - but that doesn't necessarily mean they have all been "misses";
that
>>  50% may be considered to include those shots that hit but do
>>  negligible damage - the ones that just scorch the paint off the hull
>>  a bit.
>
>It is still the case that those weapons are 50% less effective.
>Doesn't that change the balance?
>
>andy

Yes, it does, but by how much depends on how hard we make the lock-on
roll and how much countermeasures people load up with.
The 50% mentioned in the example above was nothing to do with the
lock-on ideas, it was just talking about the "misses" in regular FT.

Whether lowering the overall damage potential by having the lock-on
mechanism (and not altering the normal weapon fire resolution) is a
problem depends on peoples' views about whether current FT damage is
1) too low already, 2) about right, or 3) too harsh.....

Jon (GZG)