Prev: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions Next: Re: Fire Control lock-on

RE: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

From: "Star Ranger" <dean@s...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:17:42 -0500
Subject: RE: Fire Control lock-on (was: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions)

> The idea of a lock-on roll for a ship's fire control system(s) to
> acquire a target is one that we've played around with (at least in
> theory) for some time;.....

First off like others have said, if a lock on roll would be implemented
would like the default situation with no ECM or stealth involved to be
100%
lock on for weapons in range so basically the lock-on and things that
effect
it would be optional and thus both sides would have to agree to it
before
they play.

A lock-on roll could work, but it would add time to the game and how it
is
done would also have some effect.
If you roll a lock on a ship in turn 1, do you have to roll a lock on
the
same ship in turn 2 if you are still firing?
If you do have to roll for another lock, why? Didn't the FC keep the
lock?
If no roll needed on turn 2, how do you keep track of all the ships you
have
FCs locked on?	Would that clutter the table when you have to track the
locks of all the FCs on all the ships?
If you don't have to roll for a lock on a later turn, what if you don't
fire
on a ship for a turn, do you loose the lock and have to roll again?
Do ships have data-links so when one ship locks, they all lock? (but
still
need a FC to direct fire, but no lock-on roll is needed.)

Personally, I prefer modifying the effective range of a ship instead of
lock-on roll.  Use 2 thrust to evade, use 5" increments instead of 6"
increments on weapons that fire at it.	Use 4 thrust to evade, now ships
attack it using 4" increments.	The dice rolling is all the same, you
end up
using less dice in some situations or the to-hit portion of the roll
isn't
as easy to make.  The Stealth proposal uses this method and the ability
change the range bands is in the hull of the ship.  ECM systems would do
the
same thing but they would be separate systems.	Enhanced sensors could
make
the weapons use 7" or even 8" range bands.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com
dean@star-ranger.com

Prev: Re: [FT] squadron suggestions Next: Re: Fire Control lock-on