Prev: RE: [DSII] Sinking hover tanks Next: Re: [DSII] Sinking hover tanks

Re: [DSII] Sinking hover tanks

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [DSII] Sinking hover tanks

Ok, but despite the fact that you theoretically *could* build a hybrid
design that would hover over both land and water, that is NOT what the
original poster asked about.  They wanted to know if a HEAVY hovercraft
which is NOT capable of crossing water, could skip across it like a
stone
given sufficient velocity.

Granted, with the right shape, you *might* be able to do this, but as OA

(formerly known as OO) pointed out, your plenum chamber is going to at
*least* be damaged.  And the crew is NOT going to want to be skipped
across a pond in a brick.

If the vehicle (hybrid or not) is capable of crossing water, then it's a

hovercraft which is capable of crossing water, and NOT what the poster
asked about. :)

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Roger Burton West wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 06:24:45PM +0200, Oerjan Ariander wrote:
>
>> But such a vehicle would not be a hovercraft.
>
> Oh, certainly.
>
>> Ekranoplans - aka WIGEs or
>> GEVs (the proper use of the term "GEV", as opposed to the incorrect
SF use